Refurbishment of an existing property in Majorca
In recent years there has been a notable increase in refurbishment and conversion projects in Majorca. Plots of land in prime locations by the sea are no longer available, because the most sought-after areas are already built on. The alternative is to convert or refurbish an existing property. In the construction industry, refurbishment is understood to mean the conversion and technical modification of a property. This may also require interventions on the structure of the building.
What are the advantages of refurbishing a property in Majorca?
As building plots in Majorca are becoming increasingly scarce and expensive, the refurbishment of existing properties is becoming more and more relevant.
The benefits are as follows:
- The existing infrastructure
- With a building permit, refurbishment works can be carried out immediately, as long as the structure of the building is not modified (eliminating the approval phase which takes at least 12 months).
- A modernisation of the latest technology reduces the energy demand of your home in the long term. From roof and facade insulation, replacement of windows and doors, installation of technical equipment and photovoltaic systems, the possibilities for refurbishment of a house are very diverse.
With a complete refurbishment, the value of the property can increase considerably. A refurbishment also allows you to adapt the house to your personal needs or tastes.
Which parts of the building must be checked?
- Structure of the building
- Windows / doors
- Technical equipment of the house
What are the aspects to take into consideration when refurbishing a property?
A rehabilitation is based on and relies on the current state of a property. Many of the existing properties in Majorca have a poor structure, no insulation, bad glazing and outdated technical installations. For a non-expert, the volume of a refurbishment is often unmanageable. Even in the case of obvious refurbishment needs, such as on the roof, facade or single-glazed windows, there is often damage that is not visible at first glance.
For this reason, we recommend that you carry out a thorough preliminary inspection and an in-depth analysis of the condition of the building. In any case, it makes sense to carry out refurbishments in Majorca with the competent help of a local architect or an expert.
The examination of all building law conditions and regulations for your refurbishment project is an important and sometimes complex part. Often parts of the building are illegal. If you are refurbishing a listed building, special requirements and standards must also be met.
The inspection of the condition of the building and its structure is the basis for the design and planning of the refurbishment project. In order to adapt a house built according to Spanish standards to German standards, it is essential to improve the waterproofing and insulation. This also eliminates a widespread problem in Majorca: Dampness in the walls. Adequate humidity and thermal protection ensure that a building can withstand Majorca’s Mediterranean maritime climate.
As a leading architecture and construction company in Majorca, we offer 30 years of experience and high quality. An expert team of architects, civil engineers, structural engineers, project managers, interior designers, site managers and qualified construction personnel will guide you through all phases of your building project.
Based on an in-depth analysis of your property, its condition, the current building regulations and knowledge of the standards according to which the property was built at the time, you will be presented with the possibilities for your refurbishment project. For both complete and partial refurbishment, all planning is carried out and the necessary permits and licenses will be obtained.
Even before the purchase, a consultation and analysis of the property is carried out in order to estimate the scope of the necessary works.
Our services at a glance:
- In-depth analysis of the property
- Examination of the condition of the property
- Preparation of all plans
- Planning of construction and execution
- Administration of applications and building permits
- Architecture and interior design
- Installation and assembly of technical equipment
- Organisation of planning up to handover of keys